13:00 - 16:00 Every day
11:00 - 16:00 Thursdays
April to October
Nicholas Everitt Park
Tel: 01502 511457
'Like' us on
Lowestoft has had cannons of different kinds for defence, since about 1660.
Between the years 1774 – 1783 Lowestoft had been issued with four 32 pounders, and South Lowestoft with 32 pounders from the Board of Ordnance for coastal batteries. Lowestoft had one company, called Standish's Company, of gunners. Their headquarters were at Woolwich, they were stationed at Lowestoft.
By 1793 – 1815 Lowestoft had been issued with fifteen 32 pounders, and six 18 pounders.
Outside the Lowestoft Museum Broad House is a cannon from the late 1600s known as a Minion Largest. It has a 3.25 inch bore firing a ball of 3lb 12oz weight. During the second world war 1939 – 1945 it was buried with other cannon before being recovered and displayed in our collection.
In 2022, a new carriage was made by students from East Coast College, with wood donated by Smith's Timber. It was lifted into place by PW Waters.
The cannon after refurbishment in 2022.