Nicholas Everitt Park
1pm to 4pm
April to October
'Like' us on
Entry to the Museum
is Free of Charge
are most welcome
THE MUSEUM IS NOW CLOSED - WE WILL RE-OPEN IN SPRING 2017
Lowestoft has had cannons of different kinds for defence, since about 1660.
Between the years 1774 – 1783 Lowestoft had been issued with four 32 pounders, and South Lowestoft with 32 pounders from the Board of Ordnance for coastal batteries. Lowestoft had one company, called Standish's Company, of gunners. Their headquarters were at Woolwich, they were stationed at Lowestoft.
By 1793 – 1815 Lowestoft had been issued with fifteen 32 pounders, and six 18 pounders.
Outside the Lowestoft Museum Broad House is displayed a cannon, known as a Minion Largest, from about 1685 – 1710.
It has a 3.25 inch bore firing a ball of 3lb 12oz weight.
During the second world war 1939 – 1945 it was buried with other cannon